This Alfredo Healthy Sauce is a much lightened version of the classic. Prepared with skim milk, chicken soup, Greek yogurt and Parmesan cheese, this alfredo sauce is sure to delight without feeling guilty!
IS ALFREDO GOOD FOR YOU?
Alfredo healthy sauce. Sounds like an oxymoron, right? But it is not. THIS alfredo sauce is really healthy!
It's also super delicious, super easy, and super tasty for things like whole grain pasta and pizza (recipe coming Wednesday!).
Honestly, I've never been a huge alfredo fan.
Growing up, at my request I'm sure my family and I went to Olive Garden for dinner.
I would always order their Zuppa Toscana ♡, on the other hand my brother always, always, would order their fettuccine alfredo. At one point, I think he found a copy of the cat recipe and made it at home.
That being said, for some reason I had a great desire for some c.r.e.a.m.y. and on the second day delicious fettuccine alfredo.
What I didn't want was a heavy cream cheese sauce that would make me feel too full and heavy.
So . . .
WHAT CAN I USE INSTEAD OF HEAVY CREAM FOR ALFREDO SAUCE?
Today, instead of heavy cream, we use a combination of bouillon (for flavor), skim milk (for consistency) and non-fat Greek yogurt (for extra creaminess).
This combination allows us to create a SUPER creamy sauce with just a fraction of the calories.
I mean. There is a time and place for a full-fat, heavy cream alfredo sauce because IT IS delicious, but spring is literally right around the corner so something light was a must.
This Alfredo Healthy Sauce is lightened with skim milk and a broth of your choice (chicken or veggie for Flavia), but is creamy using non-fat plain Greek yogurt and just a little parmesan.
Alfredo healthy sauce? Come on.
The weather in the area - Wisconsin - really bothers me. One day it is 55 years old and sunny, and literally the next day below zero and snow.
I really don't mind the winter weather mostly, mainly because there's nothing nicer than watching Teddy wander through the snow.
I'm ready for a certain texture and I'm ready for a cute dress, flip-flop weather. Anyone with me?
I am also ready - I think - to skip past stick to your ribs recipes, ultra warm and cozy recipes and move on to bright, sunny and refreshing recipes. The best thing about spring is that you can still have some, right?
This Alfredo Healthy Sauce is B.E.r.f.e.c.t. connection.
It's still warm and cozy, but completely light.
Did I mention it's easy too ?!
HOW TO MAKE ALFREDO HOMEMADE SAUCE?
In fact, it's a lot easier than I thought it would be.
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, add the cornstarch. This will help thicken the alfredo sauce.
Now mix the broth and milk. Simmer, remove from heat, add Greek yoghurt, Parmesan and spices and it's ready!
Ahhh. Don't you just have ♡ quick and easy recipes? I do!
Now. I'll just tell you. It's not as thick and creamy as your typical alfredo sauce, but that's to be expected! We do not use butter, heavy cream or cream cheese.
But I promise you, you'll love it just as much. While not as thick and creamy, this Alfredo Healthy Sauce is still quite thick and creamy, full of flavor, and is amazing compared to whole grain fettuccine.
And do not forget. It also tastes great on pizza … come back on Wednesday for the recipe! In the meantime, eat it with noodles and be so happy.
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoons of corn flour
- 1/2 cup of vegetable broth or chicken
- 1/2 cup of skim milk
- 1/2 cup of non-fat plain Greek yogurt at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoons of salt
- 1/2 teaspoons of garlic powder
- 2/3 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 cups of freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Sprinkle with cornstarch and cook for a minute, stirring constantly.
- Whipping, slowly add the stock and milk. Keep whisking to combine until smooth.
- Raise the heat to medium-high and simmer.
- After cooking, simmer for about 2 minutes until it starts to thicken, whisking again constantly.
- Remove from heat and beat the Greek yogurt gradually.
- Once combined, put back on the fire (medium) and mix with the Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for an additional 2 minutes, whisking continuously.
- Serve with the noodles * immediately or cool completely (so that it thickens) and serve as a pizza sauce and it's ready!
- If not used immediately, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.